Monday, June 21, 2021

Proper names

I often hear from people who think I'm too nice toward certain LDS scholars. For example, some people wonder why I avoid the full names of people named Dan. 

A few years ago, I reached an agreement with certain LDS scholars (not including Dan) that I wouldn't use their full names in my blog posts because the back-and-forth comes up in google searches and could reflect on their careers. I agreed because I don't think a focus on individuals should be part of the discussion. Plus, I genuinely like, respect and admire most LDS scholars. 

I write about issues, facts, and arguments.

Dan, however, has long focused on ad hominem arguments. That's a last resort for those who cannot make rational, fact-based arguments. Not surprisingly, he repeatedly uses my name in his blog, preferring that over focusing on the issues. 

His favorite anonymous blog, to which he refers frequently, specializes in ad hominem, to the point where the blog itself uses my name in its title. 

In any legitimate academic field, such tactics would be rejected out of hand, but among LDS apologists, this is business as usual. 

This is among the reasons why LDS apologetics has earned its reputation for deplorable tactics, logical and factual fallacies, and overall absurdity. These apologists do more to drive people away from the Church than the critics do.

We can expect more of the same, of course. These apologists aren't about to change course after decades of doing this. 

Now you "know why" I focus on issues instead of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment